This year, It’s a Penalty launches its global campaign around the Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta, with founding partner, A21, along with N2 Publishing and its giving program N2GIVES, Comic Relief, the McCain Institute, Laureus Sport for Good, Freedom Challenge, Human Traffick Proof The ATL, Wellspring Living, Sysdoc and Hilton
The 2019 campaign is supported by high-profile NFL players including Aaron Rodgers, Nick Foles, Ryan Tannehill, Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan, Benjamin Watson and Roddy White as well as USA soccer player, Brad Guzan – all of whom feature in a 30 second film which will be shown in-flight by American Airlines and British Airways with a potential to educate 39.2 million people worldwide
The trafficking and exploitation of vulnerable people is of huge global concern, with current figures showing that, 24.9 million globally are trafficked in forced labor with 4.8 million being forced into sexual exploitation (Global Slavery Index, 2018) – the majority of which are female. Closer to the Super Bowl home, 7,200 men in Georgia purchase sex from a minor every month, accounting for over 8,000 sex acts (YouthSpark). Furthermore, according to the Urban Institute, Atlanta has the largest underground commercial sex economy out of 14 urban cities.
The Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta is one of the most high-profile major sporting events of 2019, and the It’s a Penalty campaign will harness its platform to encourage millions of people in the run-up to, and during, the event to ‘Learn Something, See Something, Do Something’ and stand up against human trafficking.
It’s a Penalty 30 second campaign film currently being shown in-flight on American Airlines and British Airways flights (January and February) reaching 39.2 million passengers.
Hilton hotels in Atlanta training their staff to spot human trafficking. Forty hotels will be showing the IAP film in their bedrooms and distributing campaign materials to guests.
IAP film will be shown to 10,000 Super Bowl volunteers on their training day 17th January.
Volunteers will be distributing It’s a Penalty campaign wristbands with the Polaris hotline together with the volunteers from SOAP on 26th and 27th January going into 400 hotels, gas stations, truck shops, 24 hour restaurants.
SOAP distribute bars of soap with hotline for victims to call.
8000 Uber and Lyft taxi drivers in the city have been trained to identify and report exploitation and trafficking, and 2500 taxis will have It’s a Penalty’s materials displayed within them.
The It’s a Penalty objectives are to:
- Educate the general public about the issue, penalties for offenders, as well as to #knowthesigns of exploitation and trafficking
- Encourage people to ‘see something, learn something, do something’
- Equip the general public with local and global mechanisms to make a report
We have put together a MEDIA PACK for journalists, supporters and the general public to download and learn how to support the Campaign. The media pack contains a press release, the 30 second campaign film, visual assets for social media platforms, and a list of hashtags and ways to support on social media.
Everyone who shares the It’s a Penalty Campaign film with #itsapenalty on social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
will enter a competition to win an NFL shirt of choice.
The winner will be announced on the 28th January.
It’s a Penalty NFL competition Terms and Conditions:
– The competition is open to residents of the United Kingdom and United States only.
– There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
– Entrants are required to share It’s a Penalty Campaign film with #itsapenalty on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.
– Closing date for entry will be 28/01/18 at 2pm GMT. After this date the no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
– The winner will be notified by DM on Twitter / Instagram / Facebook within 28 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or do not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner. The promoter will notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected / is delivered. The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
As with all of the It’s a Penalty campaigns, the 2019 campaign has secured the backing of a number of high-profile sporting stars to appear on materials and in our 30-second film. This year, the stars are renowned American Football players, including:
Tight End (TE)
Wide Receiver (WR)